I’ve been following this closely because of the attention that former Congressman and NYC Mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner has been receiving, especially this week. Why? Because he’s a public figure and he’s not just simply a cheater, but a man who was forced to resign his seat in Congress in June 2011 because he was “outed” for “sexting” various women and sending apparently nude pictures of himself to various women as well. How did it happen? Weiner accidentally tweeted a crotch shot of himself to his 45,000 followers on Twitter!! Then of course some of his “sexting partners” started talking to the press.
So in June 2011, when he was forced to resign by leaders of the Democratic Party, he had the usual ‘mea culpa’ speech, with his dutiful (and very fetching) wife by his side at the podium. This of course was not until after he claimed that no, it wasn’t him. Then that his Twitter account had been “hacked.” All lies, of course. He resigned, but only under pressure. Of course he claimed he will be “seeking treatment” in order to be a “better husband.” This got more attention than your “run of the mill affair” because of the whole sexting/nude selfies angle. From a public figure!!
Anyway, he then he disappeared from the national scene.
Of course, the jokes followed. What an UNFORTUNATE last name to have if you are sexting your privates to women!! *giggle*
Fast forward a year later. He has the idiots in the media to help him clearly on his very planned “public redemption.”
Within a year we see the “happy couple” (*cough*) posing for a touching family portrait in People magazine, along with their new baby. “I’m proud to be married to him,” she said. “… Anthony has spent every day since [the scandal] trying to be the best dad and husband he can be.”
People wasn’t the only media outlet seduced by this redemptive tale. In April, The New York Times Magazine ran a cover story full of the same sappy twaddle. “The two of them had seemed to be a power couple on the cusp of a Clintonian rise,” the writer gushed. Mr. Weiner was described as a formerly obnoxious jerk whose travails had transformed him into a tender and devoted househusband.
“Anthony has always been a smart, caring and dedicated person,” Huma writes in the September issue of Harper’s Bazaar, “and while he’s the same public servant who wants what’s best for the people he represents, he is now something else – a better man.”
A moment while I vomit!! Of course, he was assisted by Left-Leaning publications in his sham public redemption. I doubt the same loving assistance and lack of scrutiny would have been given to a Republican in this circumstance. But I digress.
So fast forward to this spring. Up pops Mr. Weiner (sorry, I had to say it!) to run for Mayor of NYC! He asks for forgiveness again. He says it’s “all behind him” and that he wishes, of course, that voters focus on the important issues facing New York. You know the script.
And then in one day, POOF, he’s back in the news. Seems that Mr. Weiner hasn’t slowed down his weiner-texting escapades! He pretty much has been doing it ever since. With new women. At least one who outed him again.
In yet ANOTHER news conference a couple days ago with dutiful wife standing by his side, Under questioning, he admitted that he had exchanged sexual messages with “between six and 10” women before he resigned from Congress in June 2011 and at least three more women up until last summer when he says he quit.
Now it’s coming out that some of this “contact” was as recently as last April. So as of this morning, everyone is calling for him to drop out of the race and his poll numbers are plummeting.
So what does this have to do with anything? Well, I think there are lessons to be learned for this cheater.
1. You can survive scandal, even infidelity, but not ridicule. Mr. Weiner, until yesterday, was leading the race for Mayor of New York. But he won’t win. In fact, I’m guessing he will drop out of the race by this Sunday. Why? Mr. Weiner is now the laughingstock of politics – for the second time in 2 years. Fodder for the press.
ERECTION UPDATE,” shouted a Drudge Report headline. “Pressure mounts on Weiner to pull out.”
What made it worse? Weiner thought he’d be more clever with his sexting — created a fake name to do it in – “Carlos Danger”. Are you joking?? You’ve handed the critics ammo for YEARS to ridicule you with. Carlos Danger? You look like Arnold Horseshack in a tie!
2. If you’re going to do this stuff while a public figure, you’re an idiot. I’m afraid it’s not really possible any longer. The media won’t protect you. In fact, the “media” because of smart phones, social media and millions of websites has become anyone who wants to be. If you are at all a public figure, nobody is going to give you a break if they get dirt on you. This isn’t like JFK when he was boinking women at the White House anytime Jackie was out of town. And the media protected him. Those days are over!
3. YES YOU NEED HELP WITH SEXUAL COMPULSIONS. Just saying you “put it all behind you” when you have this kind of sexual compulsion (to sext and send nude photos to numerous people) is silly. You have a sort of a sickness. That needs treatment. It doesn’t just go away. You’re like an alcoholic. If you don’t treat a sexual addiction, it’s likely you’re not going to be able to keep it under control. Being a public figure and/or famous person means that you will have lots of temptations. Constant temptations. More than the average person. You can’t just say “I’ll never do that again.” You need help in dealing with this type of sexual disorder and compulsion. He obviously didn’t get much “help” with this.
4. The arrogance of power and thinking you can’t get caught again. What on earth was this dufus thinking?? He KNOWS he hadn’t stopped his behavior, yet he puts himself BACK into the spotlight by running for the Mayorship of the biggest city in the US!! Did he think that this might not leak out? This speaks to his judgment. Maybe to naivete? Or the mindset of a 12 year old boy? Or someone so drunk with power and adoration that they think they are above the rules? Certainly this is a trait typical of many people in power, especially men. Hello, John Edwards? Bill Clinton? Mark Sanford??
“Look, I made some big mistakes, and I let a lot of people down,” said Weiner, in a video announcing his run for mayor. “But I’ve also learned some tough lessons.” Really? Did you?
Cheating has never been easier due to modern technology, as is fulfilling the most impossible to imagine deviant desire and fetish, but it’s also made it so easy to be caught too. The electronic trails are numerous and long and there are always people that want to report dirt!
5. Standing by your man: Idiot or political opportunist? And what of the wife? Again, standing by her man? There she was at the podium. Again. “I love him, I have forgiven him, I believe in him,” she told reporters. But her body language was excruciating. She looked as if she wanted to kick him in the giblets.
Back to his wife. There’s more there than meets the eye. Don’t condemn her as a doormat. She’s not. She’s a rank political opportunist. And there’s a curious connection to another famous philanderer and liar. His wife is longtime Hillary Clinton aide, Huma Abedin. She has much to gain by being heavily involved in a potential Hillary run at the Presidency in 2016. And she would like, I think, to weather the storm and not have to withdraw from public life. I don’t see her as a doormat. Like Hillary, she’s turning a blind-eye in order to be near power.
Dr. Judy Kuriansky, a relationship expert, cited Abedin’s previous experience working in politics as advantageous. “I think she made, from a psychological point of view, very cleverly worded statements,” she said. “She has been in this political game for many years. She’s worked with the Clintons. She understands how the game is going and how it works.”
If you want to condemn her for this cold calculation, you can do that. I don’t think she’s doing it out of love for him or a shared child. Like Hillary, she’s turning a blind eye. And Hillary is her boss. Is she fool, doormat or calculating opportunist? I vote for the latter. She wants to be the wife of the Mayor of New York City. Desperately.
6. You’ve made it harder for ALL of us, Anthony! What are you thinking? Don’t you realize that most people out there believe “once a cheater, always a cheater”? That too many believe that we are beyond redemption? That all we’ve learned is that you just have to get better at lying and hiding it?? Thanks a lot, dufus!!